About Tashkent it is mentioned even in II-I cc. B.C. In different sources it is occurred the different names of this ground – Shash-Tepa, Chach-Tepa. Thereafter the name of this ground applied to the suburbs’ name. Thus by word Chach (Shasha) it could be understandable the whole region belonged to Chach (Shash) town.

Tashkent zoo, Tashkent

Opened in 1924, the zoo has quickly become one of the favorite places of recreation for visitors and residents of Tashkent. And when in 1997 the zoo moved to a new, very successful place of residence, as if it has got a "second wind". New Tashkent zoo, built in accordance with international standards and requirements, has become one of the best in the CIS. It is bigger and more comfortable than many others.

Tashkent today is one of the modern cities of the world with the peculiar to megalopolises parks, park amusements, entertaining centers, theaters and museums. All these large-scale changes have happened in Tashkent since seventies. Only few narrow side streets remind of the former east colour. Nevertheless, the guests of Tashkent remember this city for a long time.

The Palace of Prince Romanov, Tashkent

If you follow Sharaf Rashidov Street in a northerly direction, on the right side you can see a small built of baked bricks Palace. The House of Prince Romanov stands apart from the modern big and tall buildings, with many small towers, built in Romanesque style window openings and executed in classical style round columns.

The construction was built by design of the renowned architects A. L. Benoit and V. S. Heinzelmann in 1891. Cousin of Tsar Alexander III, Nikolai Konstantinovich, was deported last to Tashkent. Paying tribute to the tradition of the Royal family there was built such glamour. The reason for a family scandal in the Royal family became the romance of the young Prince with American dancer Fanny Lear.

Symbol of independence

It is exaggeration to say that now it is really the favorite public place. The people like to walk here with the family, friends or they come especially here for the wedding sessions. The big park, high trees, green lawns and fountains add the comfort to Mustaqillik square.

Not far from this square formerly there were the camps and marquees of Genghis Khan. The local people explain the name of the place “Urda” as a “Center”. In XIX century near this square there was the palace of Kokand Khan. After the advent of the Russian administration the palace was demolished and on its place there was built the residence of the general-governorship of Turkestan Military District. The square was kept for the parade marches.

Page 1 of 4